Copyright © Michael Dawson February 2013: updated 24.02.2021
Cannock Chase Holiday Cottages Staffordshire
AONB : CANNOCK CHASE
The Pagets & the Old Cottage
William,1st Baron Paget of Beaudesert
(1506 – 9 June 1563), was an English statesman who held prominent positions in the
service of three Tudor monarchs, Henry V111, Edward V1 and Mary
Born in Staffordshire, he was the son of William Paget, one of the serjeants-at-mace
of the city of London.The apocryphal story says that his ancestors were nail makers
In 1549 William was summoned by writ to the House of Lords as Baron Paget de Beaudesert.
About the same time he obtained extensive grants of lands, including Cannock Chase.
Occupants of the Old Cottage
1819: Thos Harvey, of Fair Oak Lodge, managed the ‘Dog Kennel’, but didn’t live in
it! Presumably, the dogs were the hunting dogs of the Marquis of Anglesey, a further
title of the Pagets
1831: Still called ‘Dog Kennel’
1841: Thomas Cockayne
1881-1901 Shemwells colliers from Derbyshire
1911: Wm Bartram
Pre-1920 - 1990: The Keeling family. The Old Cottage was purchased by Edw. James
Keeling, the tenant, in 1920, for £200. Three generations of his family lived in
the Old Cottage.
1990 > Michael Dawson & Carol (nee Ensor) married 13.04.1963 at Heron Court Congregational
They bought the ‘Old Cottage’ by auction at Eton Lodge Hotel, Rugeley in July 1990
Most of the ancient oaks of Cannock Chase, were felled in the Tudor period by Fulke
Greville. However, ‘The Chase’ is still full of the beauty expected of an AONB.
Beaudesert Hall was stripped of its contents and fittings and left to the elements;
little now remains.
Diminishing income from their lands and properties caused the Pagets to sell estates,
1919 - 1926, and move to Plas Newydd, Anglesey.